Alvin and the Chipmunks is an American animated television series featuring The Chipmunks, produced by Bagdasarian Productions in association with Paramount Television Animation. It was the first incarnation of The Chipmunks to be presented in Dolby Surround. It aired on UPN as part of its UPN Kids block from May 10, 1998 to April 17, 2005.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Characters
- 2.1 Main
- 2.2 Minor
- 2.2.1 One-time characters
- 3 Production
- 3.1 Development
- 3.2 Writing
- 3.3 Animation
- 3.4 Music
- 4 Broadcast
- 5 Reception
- 6 Merchandise
- 6.1 Toys
- 6.2 Tie-ins
- 7 Trivia
The series focuses three chipmunk brothers, Alvin, Simon and Theodore. The trio have been adopted by and are living with Dave (human). Each episode finds the boys getting into trouble and new and unusual situations.
- The Chipmunks: the main characters of the series
- Alvin Seville (voiced by Ross Bagdasarian, Jr.): the oldest brother and leader of the Chipmunks, Alvin is the talented troublemaker of the group.
- Simon Seville (also voiced by Ross Bagdasarian, Jr.): the middle brother (also the tallest), Simon is the intelligent realist and the most responsible of the group.
- Theodore Seville (voiced by Janice Karman): the youngest brother, Theodore is the cute innocent butterball of the group.
- The Chipettes: the Chipmunks' female counterparts and on-and-off girlfriends
- Brittany Miller (also voiced by Janice Karman): Brittany, the leader and the oldest sister of the Chipettes, is Alvin's counterpart. She is as equally vain and self-centered as Alvin. But like him, she really does care about others.
- Jeanette Miller (also voiced by Janice Karman): Jeanette is the middle sister of the Chipettes, and she is Simon's counterpart. However, unlike Simon, who stands up to Alvin easily, she does not stand up to Brittany as easily. She is also very smart, which is what she does have in common with Simon. However, she is very shy and clumsy.
- Eleanor Miller (also voiced by Janice Karman): Eleanor is the youngest sister of the Chipettes, and she is Theodore's counterpart. She shares his love for food and cooking. But she is more athletic, more intelligent, and more likely to stand up to Brittany than Theodore is to Alvin.
- David "Dave" Seville (also voiced by Ross Bagdasarian, Jr.): the Chipmunks' adoptive father, the Chipettes's guardian, songwriter and manager, Dave's patience is tested nearly every day by Alvin, usually to the point where he yells his trademark yell "ALVIN!!!". Despite all this, he loves all of his boys equally.
- Miss Beatrice Miller (voiced by Dody Goodman): the kindly, absent-minded adoptive mother of the Chipettes. She occasionally babysits the Chipmunks and has a crush on Dave, even though she's old enough to be his mother. In her youth, she was part of an all-girl singing group called The Thrillers.
- Clyde Crashcup (voiced by Shepard Menken during 1998 and by Brian Cummings after his death): a scientist/inventor. Clyde's "inventions" were really items that had already been invented, but with his own personal touches. His "creations" often backfired on him until his silent, level-headed lab assistant, Leonardo (diminutive, balding, and perpetually whispering in Crashcup's ear (provided by Tom Kenny)) saved him from any further self-destruction.
- Stanley the Eagle (vocal effects by Frank Welker) - The Chipmunks' pet eagle who occasionally made appearances on the show.
- Samantha (voiced by Janice Karman) - She is Dave's girlfriend in the series and is heavily inspired by The Alvin Show segment, Lovesick Dave and the DiC episode, Dave's Getting Married. She is also a caricature of her actress.
- The 60s Chipmunks: The Chipmunks' past selves, or more likely their previous incarnations from The Alvin Show back in the early 60s.
- 60s Alvin (voiced by Ross Bagdasarian Jr.): The talented troublemaker of the group.
- 60s Simon (voiced by Ross Bagdasarian Jr.): The intelligent realist and the most responsible of the group.
- 60s Theodore (voiced by Janice Karman): The cute and innocent member of the group who likes to eat a lot.
- 60s David "Dave" Seville (also voiced by Ross Bagdasarian Jr.): The 60s Chipmunks' adoptive father, songwriter and manager, Dave's patience is tested nearly every day by 60s Alvin, usually to the point where he yells his trademark yell "ALVIN!!!". Despite all this, he loves all of his boys equally.
After the Alvin and the Chipmunks 80s' series' cancellation in 1990, Bagdasarian broke its partnership with DiC Entertainment. The studio was unsatisfied with the poor-quality animation and its executive meddling. Several years later, Bagdasarian and Karman tried to pitch the series again throughout several different studios. First came Disney. The studio didn't want to do any Halloween specials starring the Chipmunks and Chipettes, realizing it might be too dark for family films and participating in it would damage their plans of making any further feature films, shorts, TV shows, etc. Then came Universal, who rejected their offer on a series but agreed to make two direct-to-video feature films. Sony planned to convince Bagdasarian and Karman to make a Spain-themed movie featuring the Chipmunks and Chipettes, but after seeing the box office failure of 1987's The Chipmunk Adventure, the project was abandoned.
Finally there was Paramount. Paramount was not so sharp. They agreed on Bagdasarian's offer to do a reboot, since The Alvin Show was off the air a year ago. Paramount Television Animation handled the storyboards, character animation layouts, background layouts and post-production, while Bagdasarian was in charge of voices and music. The animation was outsourced to other overseas studios, even PTA's Canadian subsidiary a few times and Rough Draft Korea for the most part.
The post-production of the first season began after PTA had made the first 13 episodes. Sound effects had to be added and voices and music had to be mixed at PTA's sound services, as well as editing the episodes. Although the Ruby-Spears episodes were still the same to begin with, Paramount improved its style with their use of high-quality fluid and lifelike Disney-style animation.
Paramount animation heads Nancy Farwell wasn't pleased with the quality of the Ruby-Spears style writing because it was filled with cartoonish and surrealistic humor (which was unusual in real life), reminiscent of The Alvin Show and the Fleischer cartoons of the early 1930s. She felt the animation did not exhibit a distinct style envisioned for the show. At the time there were only a few choices for animation style. Usually, the producers would follow the style of either Disney, Warner Bros., or Hanna-Barbera. Disney and Warner Bros. cartoons had a universe that was bendy and the characters seemed to be made of rubber. The producers wanted a realistic environment in which the characters and objects could not do anything that was not possible in the real world, despite the Disney-style animation. One example with the animation being cartoonish was that the doors behaved liked rubber when slammed. The style of Hanna-Barbera featured the use of cartoon sounds, which they did not want either.
The animation remained the same while not resorting to limited animation like DiC, but started to take a noticeable downgrade in quality when the second season began production. The writers began to use more original and realistic plots, although Dave retains his trademark yell "ALVIN!!!" in some episodes. The wildly inconsistent writing was toned down in favor of emulating other high-quality cartoons at the time.
Writers from ToonMania and Life of the Noveltoons, such as Alexandra Farwell, Julian Reilly, Dianne Dixon, Jack Enyart, Matt Utiz and Ellinor Pullen, wrote the episodes for the show along with Ross Bagdasarian Jr. and his wife, Janice Karman. Two writers from Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs, Sherri Stoner and Deanna Oliver, were brought in to the series as well.
Animation for the series was outsourced to various studios, such as Tokyo Movie Shinsha (TMS Entertainment) (first season only), Wang Film Productions, Koko Enterprises, most notably PTA's Canadian subsidiary (intro and second season's Halloween special only) and Rough Draft Korea.
Alvin and the Chipmunks was made with a higher production value than standard television animation; the show had a higher cel count than most TV cartoons. The Alvin and the Chipmunks characters often move fluidly, and do not regularly stand still and speak, as in other television cartoons. The drawing count was 25,000 drawings instead of the usual 10,000, making it unique that the characters would move more fluidly.
The music was composed by Tom Chase and Steve Rucker. It was strongly influenced mostly by the Murakami-Wolf Swenson episodes of the original series.
- Action figures were made and came out during the start of the second season.
- Golden Book stories were made based off the series.
- A series of comic books based off the series was made by Paramount Comics.
- The show is the result of the Chipmunks and Chipettes reverting to their late 80s/early 90s character designs. Also, Tom Chase and Steve Rucker returned to compose the music for the series.
- The show recreates elements from the Chipmunks' first TV incarnation, The Alvin Show, albeit new 90's style elements were added to rehash the entire show. Plus, the MWS/DiC closing credits sequences were re-used, but were heavily edited for the new episodes.
- Paramount produced a new opening sequence, featuring the song We're the Chipmunks, with better animation quality and timing and the use of the late 80s/early 90s character models, of which was done by PTA's Canadian subsidiary.
- Clyde Crashcup, Leonardo, Stanley the Eagle and Sam Valiant returned in this reboot. Both Clyde Crashcup and Leonardo's designs were updated to look more realistic and fit in more of the late 80s/early 90s style the series once had. Also, both Sam Valiant and Stanley the Eagle were streamlined by DiC animator, Bruno Bianchi.
- Unlike the DiC episode Dave's Getting Married, Samantha does not have any children of her own and is considered to be single and is also Dave's girlfriend in the series. Her appearance and voice is a caricature of Janice Karman as well.
- Paramount wasn't the first option to pitch the series. Other options included Walt Disney Television for ABC, Saban Entertainment for Fox Kids, Columbia TriStar Television (through Adelaide Productions) for syndication and Universal Cartoon Studios for Fox Kids. These options were rejected in favor of said studio, but Universal was assigned to do two direct-to-video feature films.
- There were reasons, Disney feared that the use of darker and edgier tones in the Chipmunks Halloween specials were not family-oriented at all, and participating with Bagdasarian in it would damage their plans of making any further feature films, shorts, TV shows, etc.
- Sony tried out with the Chipmunks and Chipettes on a new feature starring them in the country of Spain. But after seeing the failure of The Chipmunk Adventure, the project was abandoned.
- The series was originally intended to be cancelled after one season, like The Alvin Show. But after seeing high ratings of the show, it was renewed for six more seasons.
- There was going to be an eighth season continuing the Chipmunks Go To The Movies trilogy for DiC, but never came around because Bagdasarian and Karman felt that the show already had run its course.
- A CGI version of the franchise named ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks would later premiere on Nickelodeon ten years after this incarnation's series finale which took place 20 years into the future, entitled Still Squeaky After Twenty Years.
The Chipmunks were first depicted in animated form in The Alvin Show (1961). The characters have since featured in several television series and films, as well as other media. In 2019, The Chipmunks received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.Is there a Alvin and the Chipmunks TV show? ›
Alvin and the Chipmunks (1983 TV series)
|Alvin and the Chipmunks|
|Original release||September 17, 1983 – December 1, 1990|
|The Alvin Show (1961–1962) Alvinnn!!! and the Chipmunks (2015–present)|
The Chipmunks were first depicted in animated form in The Alvin Show (1961). The characters have since featured in several television series and films, as well as other media. In 2019, The Chipmunks received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.How can I watch the old Alvin and the Chipmunks? ›
Watch Alvin and the Chipmunks (HBO) - Stream Movies | HBO Max.Where can I find Alvin and the Chipmunks series? ›
Watch Alvin and the Chipmunks Streaming Online | Hulu (Free Trial)Why did Disney remove Alvin and the Chipmunks? ›
The movie was removed due to pre-existing contracts created before Disney acquired 20th Century Fox. The movie is now available on HBO Max and will return to Disney+ once this licensing agreement has ended.Is Alvin and the Chipmunks series on Disney plus? ›
Watch Alvin and the Chipmunks | Disney+Who is the oldest chipette? ›
In Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, when they meet at school, Simon instantly falls in love with Jeanette when he laid his eyes on her. He purred at her which shows that he has a crush on her.What is Alvin chipmunk last name? ›
The main characters of Alvin and the Chipmunks consist of the chipmunk characters of Alvin Seville, Theodore Seville, Simon Seville, and their human parent, David Seville.
According to Romancing Miss Stone, Alvin says that his birthday is nearby and he is turning nine years old (along with his brothers). However, later on in the series, they are stated to be eight years old several times, despite being 4th graders.What movie was 90's Alvin and the Chipmunks? ›
|The Chipmunk Adventure|
|Directed by||Janice Karman|
|Written by||Janice Karman Ross Bagdasarian|
|Based on||Alvin and the Chipmunks by Ross Bagdasarian Sr.|
Parents need to know that while this movie is mostly OK for little kids, there's some innuendo and sassy language that children might mimic. Alvin in particular says mildly off-putting remarks like "You're hot" to Dave's date or "She wanted you" to Dave.Where can I watch 90s Alvin and the Chipmunks? ›
ALVINNN and The Chipmunks - Nickelodeon - Watch on Paramount Plus.Is Alvin and the Chipmunks series on Netflix? ›
How to Watch Alvinnn!!! and The Chipmunks. Right now you can watch Alvinnn!!! and The Chipmunks on fuboTV, Netflix, and Paramount+.How many Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoons are there? ›
The fictional animated singing group Alvin and the Chipmunks created by Ross Bagdasarian have appeared in eight feature-length films since their debut.Why aren t all the Chipmunk movies on Disney Plus? ›
Due to a long-standing contract made with Warner Brothers before Disney purchased 20th Century Fox, titles are regularly removed from Disney+ in the United States and added to HBO Max. These titles do eventually return back to Disney+, but it's unknown when they will be back.Why aren t all the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies? ›
Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chip made money for pre-Disney Fox, but it also was the most expensive to make and grossed $100 million less than Alvin And Chipmunks: Chipwrecked. With profits decreasing and fans getting older and moving on to other things, the chances of Alvin And The Chipmunks 5 appear slim.Who is the bad guy in the Chipmunks? ›
Ian Hawke is the main antagonist of the Alvin and the Chipmunks quadrilogy, serving as the main antagonist of Alvin and the Chipmunks and its sequel Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, and later an anti-hero in Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked.Is Disney going to buy Alvin and the Chipmunks? ›
Disney+ has recently added a brand new collection featuring all four of the 20th Century Studio's live-action “Alvin And The Chipmunk” films.
Alvin is the oldest and also the most mischievous.Who is Theodore's girlfriend? ›
Overview. Out of all The Chipmunks and Chipettes, Theodore and Eleanor are the most open and loving couple. They both share many similar interests. Plus, several moments throughout the franchise hint towards Eleanor having a large crush on Theodore.What is a female chipmunk called? ›
In fact, they're mostly solitary creatures—at least until breeding season arrives. Twice a year in spring and late summer, males (called bucks) and females (does) come together to mate, then part ways again. Female chipmunks raise the pups, but don't remain close to their offspring once they leave.Are brittany and alvin dating? ›
Towards the end of The Squeakuel,Brittany and Alvin dance together(along with Theodore and Eleanor and Jeanette and Simon)and then smile at each other happily. In the episode Big Dreams Alvin and Brittany are married. So we know that they were made to be together forever.Who was Simon first girlfriend? ›
After Cowell became internationally famous when American Idol launched, he was dating British entertainment reporter Terri Seymour. The couple were together from 2002-2008, during which time Seymour was a correspondent on American show Extra, and reported for the British spin-off show of Cowell's The X Factor.What is Simon chipmunk full name? ›
Simon Seville is one of The Chipmunks and the overall deuteragonist of the series and films. He is the smartest of The Chipmunks, possessing an I.Q. just north of Einstein's.Who is the second oldest chipmunk? ›
- David "Dave" Seville is the adoptive father of the Chipmunks. ...
- Ian Hawke is the Chipmunks and Chipettes former nemesis and Dave's former arch-rival, he is played by David Cross.
- Alvin is the lead singer of the Chipmunks. ...
- Simon is the second oldest brother. ...
- Theodore is the youngest of his brothers.
Brittany Miller is one of the four tetartagonists and the main female protagonist of the Alvin and the Chipmunks franchise. She is the lead singer and leader of the The Chipettes and Alvin Seville's love interest.What gender is chipmunk? ›
Upon emerging from hibernation in spring the males testicles descend to the scrotal sac making them distinguishable from the females. The sac is covered with whitish-gray fur. The darker the fur the more mature the chipmunk is (Wishner 1982). The male and female cycles are independent from one another.Does Alvin have sisters? ›
The Chipettes are a group of three female anthropomorphic chipmunk singers: Brittany, Jeanette and Eleanor who first appeared on the cartoon series Alvin and the Chipmunks in 1983.
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked is a 2011 American jukebox musical adventure comedy film directed by Mike Mitchell. It is the third film starring Alvin and the Chipmunks following the 2009 film The Squeakquel, and the first.How old was Alvin Lee when he died? ›
He was 68. He died “after unforeseen complications following a routine surgical procedure,” according to a brief post by family members on his Web site.Did Dave adopt The Chipettes? ›
Live-action cast. Jason Lee as David "Dave" Seville, a former songwriter turned music producer and the adoptive father of the Chipmunks and the Chipettes.What movie has evil Chipmunks? ›
Alvin and the Chipmunks are an evil trio of singing rodents & a parody of the anthropomorphic characters of the same name. They are supporting antagonists in the infamous 2008 parody movie Disaster Movie.Why are the Chipmunks on the no fly list? ›
Alvin and the Chipmunks are placed on the No-Fly List in a fictional film. Image via Twitter. The No-Fly List was created in 2003 in response to the September 11 attacks. While researching the event, the names of suspected terrorists was put into a list, preventing them from flying in or outside of the United States.Who is the youngest girl chipmunk? ›
Although the youngest, she's more likely to stand up to Brittany than her older sister Jeanette. Despite her being a match to Theodore, she isn't so naive and is strongly mature, despite being the youngest of her sisters.
Alvin and the Chipmunks was released in North America on December 14, 2007. The film grossed $44.3 million in 3,475 theaters its opening weekend averaging to about $12,750 per venue, and placing second at the box office behind I Am Legend.Is Alvin and the Chipmunks G rated? ›
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel is rated PG by the MPAA for some mild rude humor.What 90s cartoon had Chipmunks? ›
Alvin & the Chipmunks (TV Series 1983–1990) - IMDb.Where can I watch the 80s Alvin and the Chipmunks? ›
Watch Alvin and The Chipmunks: The Alvin Show | Prime Video.
Ross Bagdasarian Sr. first introduced Alvin and The Chipmunks in 1958 on the novelty record "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late!)," which sold 4.5 million copies in seven weeks.How old are Alvin and the Chipmunks? ›
For the CGI/live-action movies, they never say how old the Chipmunks are but based on what I've heard in the lines, "We're kids, Dave."(1st movie), "Welcome to West Eastman High" and the fact that Dave has enrolled them tells me that they were about 6-9 and then finally 13-16 in the second film and then the same age in ...Where can I watch Alvin and the Chipmunks 5? ›
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, a children movie starring Jason Lee, David Cross, and Jenny Slate is available to stream now. Watch it on Prime Video, Apple TV, Vudu or Redbox.Is Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 on HBO? ›
Watch Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel | Movies | HBO Max.Why isn t Chipwrecked on Disney Plus? ›
The movie was removed due to pre-existing contracts created before Disney acquired 20th Century Fox. The movie is now available on Peacock and will return to Disney+ once this licensing agreement has ended. The movie remains available on Disney+ internationally.Is Alvin and the Chipmunks show on Netflix? ›
Watch Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip | Netflix.What channel is Alvin and the Chipmunks on? › Why is there no Alvin and the Chipmunks 5? ›
Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chip made money for pre-Disney Fox, but it also was the most expensive to make and grossed $100 million less than Alvin And Chipmunks: Chipwrecked. With profits decreasing and fans getting older and moving on to other things, the chances of Alvin And The Chipmunks 5 appear slim.Is Alvin and the Chipmunks on Roku? ›
A single father experiences the trials and tribulations of raising everyone's favorite chipmunks -- Alvin, Simon and Theodore. Streaming on Roku.Is Alvin and the Chipmunks chipwrecked on HBO Max? ›
Watch Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked - Stream Movies | HBO Max.
The Chipettes are a fictional group of female singing chipmunks (Brittany, Jeanette, and Eleanor) first appearing on the show Alvin and the Chipmunks in 1983.Who is the girl chipmunk? ›
The Chipettes are a group of three female anthropomorphic chipmunk singers: Brittany, Jeanette and Eleanor who first appeared on the cartoon series Alvin and the Chipmunks in 1983. In this and related materials, the Chipettes served as female featured characters in their own right, starring in numerous episodes.What movie did Alvin and the Chipmunks turn evil? ›
Alvin and the Chipmunks are an evil trio of singing rodents & a parody of the anthropomorphic characters of the same name. They are supporting antagonists in the infamous 2008 parody movie Disaster Movie.